Livestock & Realty

News & Alerts

Industry Alerts

New Biosecurity Act – Requirements for Registrable Biosecurity Entities

August 16, 2016

Under Queensland’s Biosecurity Act 2014, anyone who keeps more than a certain number of ‘designated animals’ is a registrable biosecurity entity and must register with Biosecurity Queensland. Once you have registered, you are a registered biosecurity entity (RBE).
An RBE can be:

  • an individual
  • several individuals working in a partnership or organisation such as a company, trust, registered body or government organisation.

Registration allows animals to be traced if there is a disease outbreak or contamination incident.

Who must register?
Animal owners and keepers – You must register if you own or keep the following designated animals:

  • 1 or more cows, sheep, goats, pigs, bison, buffalo, deer or animals from the Camelidae family (e.g. alpacas, llamas) or the Equidae family (e.g. horses, ponies, donkeys, mules, zebras)
  • 100 or more designated birds – that is, birds that are raised for human consumption (poultry) or the production of eggs for human consumption (e.g. chickens), or that have been released into free flight since they started being kept in captivity (e.g. racing pigeons)
  • 1 or more beehives.

If you have not already registered and you keep any of the above specified animals, you must register with Biosecurity Queensland. You must register even if you don’t own the land that you keep your animal(s) on (agistee).

How does registration relate to property identification codes (PICs)?
Once you are registered you will be allocated a property identification code (PIC). This PIC corresponds to the land where you keep your animal(s). PICs are not owned by the landowner – they are allocated to the land.
If you were already allocated a PIC before 1 July 2016, you will automatically become an RBE.
You need to be allocated a PIC to purchase devices from the National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) and to access other national industry systems such as vendor declarations/waybills. If you do not own the property where your animals are kept, you will need to get authorisation from the property owner to use their PIC to access these systems.
The property owner will need to complete the relevant section of your application to become an RBE.

How long does registration last?
Your registration is valid for 3 years from the date you apply.
If you automatically became an RBE on 1 July 2016 because you already had been allocated a PIC, your registration will be valid until 1 July 2019. If you do not renew your registration before it expires, your PIC may be cancelled.

Application forms and fees
You can download the RBE application form for designated animals other than bees.
You can also get the forms from Department of Agriculture and Fisheries offices or call 13 25 23 to be posted one. Completed forms can be submitted to local offices.
If you are a commercial primary producer, you will pay a fee to register. You are considered a commercial primary producer if you claim primary producer status on your tax return.
If you keep animals only for non-commercial purposes, you will not pay a fee.
If you held a PIC prior to 1 July 2016 and automatically became an RBE on that date, you do not need to pay a fee until your registration is renewed on 1 July 2019.